The Records of Neurion Arkanith

Entry Three

07 Mar 2015

Earth elementals After resting, we decided it would be wise to head back to Homlet before moving on to the second floor. We had been in the temple for some time and needed to procure some provisions. This also gave us the opportunity to take Oceanus’ body to the church. If they are unable to resurrect him, perhaps they can find somebody who will or keep him safe until we return.

We ascended to the top floor of the temple and approached the entrance. Upon opening the door and stepping outside, we were blinded by the sun. We had been below ground for so long, I had almost forgotten how bright the sun could be. As our eyes adjusted and the brightness faded, all was not what we had expected. Everything was dark, the trees seemed to be dancing, and a familiar face greeted us from the trees. It was Iuz, but his image shifted from the young man with the red bandana we had encountered before and an old man whom we had not seen.

It seemed we had once again entered Iuz’s dream world. He spoke to us, though my mind has gone hazy and I have trouble recalling his words. Then, in the blink of an eye, he was gone. The trees approached us, and it was time for battle. I was able to approach the trees from the side and cast Lance of Disruption, dealing damage to a number of them. At this point in the battle I noticed something quite peculiar, as if anything about this encounter was ordinary. Drussus and Wonnlion were missing! I suspected that since Wonnlion had not encountered Iuz with us previously, he was saved from this trouble we now found ourselves in. But Drussus had been there for all of our previous encounters with Iuz. I surmise this is somehow related to the brain fungus that has infected him, which has me more worried about his fate, and ours, than previously.

We dealt with the trees quite swiftly, and found ourselves back in the normal world. Apparently, to the outsiders we appeared to have just frozen up. We awoke to found ourselves greeted by the Order of the Rosy Cross, sent by the church to check on us. How nice. We informed them of our plans to return to Homlet for a short while and they assured us that they would keep the floors we had already cleared in check until we returned. And with that, we started on our way.

The trip to Homlet was mostly uneventful. We encountered some wild animals that we were able to deal with swiftly and arrived in Homlet unscathed.

We took Oceanusto the church and Sovellis spoke with Leita while Charin and I studied in the library. Before leaving for the Inn, I paid the priest the money required to resurrect Oceanus.

We stayed in Homlet for a few days. I spent most of my time studying with Charin and Sovellis, though I did take the time to send my Wand of Magic Missile out to be charged. I was told it would take four weeks and be sent directly to the temple for me. During our studies, we were able to craft a number of new spells that I am looking forward to utilizing.

On our final night in Homlet, we performed a concert for the people we once saved from Iuz’s influence. They crowd was wonderful and the concert was quite success. We turned in for the night, prepared to head back to the temple in the morning.

Our return trip was even more uneventful than the trip to Homlet. We arrived at the temple and the commander from the Order of the Rosy Cross informed us that there had been a few incursions, but nothing that they couldn’t handle.

We descended to the second floor, prepared to anything we might encounter. Good thing we were, as our first encounter was with a Minotaur. We dispatched of him quickly and moved into a small hallway with guards that did not seem to be expecting us. After disposing of them, we found ourselves drained already and decided we should rest before moving on.

Older · View Archive (34)

Entry Two

Earth elementals

As we traveled further into the temple, we discovered a set of jail cells. Three of them contained what appeared to be humans. However, when we attempted to speak to them they remain ed motionless and unresponsive; this should have been our first sign that some thing was amiss. In one of the opposing cells we discovered a gnome by the name of Wonnlion being held captive. After releasing him, he asked to join us as he searched for his equipment. Most of the group was hesitant, but I felt that the more help we had the better off we would be.

We then explored the secret door we had discovered earlier. We found a small alcove that apparently belonged to the guard that we already dispatched, along with Wonnlion`s equipment. We also discovered that the rear of the cells that held the humans were In fact doors. Upon opening one, we found that they actually held zombits. We were able to deal with them quickly. In the process, we learned that our nwe friend was qunite a capable fighter, if not a little headstrong.

At this point, I had spend most of my spells, as had the majority of the group. We retreated to a small room we had previously explored and sealed ourselves inside to rest. During Tormac’s watch, some men came pounding on the door but where unable to make their way in. Aside from this, our rest passed uneventfully.

After we completed our rest, we continued to explore the first floor of the temple. In one particular room, we discovered a large pit a precarious looking walkway above it. We travled over the pit but found nothing of interest. As we made our way back of the pit, Drussus triggered a trap that dropped him into the pit. Almost immediately, he was swarmed by rats. He struggled valiently, but as he was already prone, he was overcome quite quickly. Sovellis and Charin each summoned orbs of fire to deal with the rats while Tormac and Dalthek pulled Drussus from the pit using one of Tormac’s ropes. I supervised.

Now we had almost cleared this entire floor. This was only a small area left that we had been avoiding and decided to go investigate. We walked in on a group that was apparently prepared for us. However, they were expecting us to come from the other direction! We were able to dispatch them quickly with a little help from my Lance of Disruption. (Note: How this temple is still standing after my repeated blasts is beyond even my comprehension.) After clearing the few connected rooms, we began searching for loot. Oceanus checked a chest for traps and was reasonable certain he succeed. However, upon opening the box he was greeted by a poisoned spike and fell dead on the spot. We were stunned. Although he had not been with us for very long and said very little, Oceanus was still one of us. As much as we would have liked to take his body to be resurrected immediately, we knew that our mission was more important. We secured his body behind a sealed door and moved on. Vowing to return for him once our mission was complete.

Finally, we entered the last room on this floor. One we had been avoiding for all this time due to some foreboding arrows on the ground that lead to this room. Once there, we discovered a pyramid like structure in the middle and some numbers on the floor in each corner. Suddenly, four large elementals appeared in each corner of the room. We immediately began to battle with the closest one. The others, however, did not even seem to notice us. They continued to walk through the series of numbers on the floor. Starting with one and working their way up. Concerned about what might happened if they all reached four, I chose to cast lance of disruption one both the current one we were fighting and the one behind it when they were lined up. The second one then joined the fight.

As we continued to battle the first two elementals, the others just continued their journey. They both finally reached the number four, only to return to number one and start the whole process over again. After we had defeated the first two elementals we moved onto the third and finally fourth before finding ourselves victorious. Our healers helped us to regain some strength, but this had been a particularly taxing battle. We must rest now, as our next logical course of action is to move on to the floor below us.


Entry Four

Earth elementals After resting, we returned to the second floor of the temple. We passed through a secret door we had encountered earlier, where we encountered a group of bandits. Charin and Drussus were able to render most of the group unconscious, allowing us to focus on the few that remained. As the rest of the group was already engaged with my fellow adventurers, I decided to deal with some of the trash that was left behind. As I was dealing the final blow to one of the unconscious bandits, one of the leaders appeared from a door directly across from me. Apparently, seeing me bash one of his men with my staff was too much for him as he charged me from the door and delivered quite a blow. I was able to retreat and attack from a distance.

We finally felled the remaining bandits and their leaders. Although a bit worse for wear, I was still standing and Drussis was able to heal me up easily. We searched the rooms and found a chest in one of the adjoining rooms. Wonnlion inspected the chest for traps and believed it to be clear, but his lack of confidence led us to believe otherwise. None of us were willing to touch the chest, so Drussis and I devloped a plan to attempt opening it without any danger to ourselves.

While the others prepared some food they had found, Drussis and I moved one of the bandit corpses into the room with the chest. Drussis was able to raise the corpse and order him to kick the chest after we had safely left the room. It was a good thing we hadn’t attempted to open the chest ourselves, as the chest released a poisinous gas once it was kicked. After it had cleared, we were able to open the chest and obtain the treasure within.

After eating, we moved on until we found ourselves in a large, open hallway. I was hessitant to move forward, as there were many places where we could be ambushed from. Still, we continued to move down the hallway where we encountered a large door, chained and barred with the same ruins we have seen on the other sealed doors. Drussis and I were the only ones who were able to look at, so I had to describe the door to others. At this point, I don’t think anybody was surprised to find one of these.

At the end of the hallway, we saw what appeared to be the body of a woman. A closer inspection confirmed that it was Drussis’ rogue friend. She was laying unconscious and seemed to be near death. We felt it best to carry her back to the room where we had been resting so that Drussis could attempt to heal her.

As we turned to head back down the hallway where we had come, we encountered an Ochre Jelly. Sovellis launched two magic missiles at the Jelly and it immediately split into two additional Jellies. We now faced three Jellies, each of which appeared to be identical. Not only did the attack split the Jelly, it also seemed to deal no damage. At this point, I was hesitant to use any of my magic against these foes. My fear was realised when Dalthak struck one of the Jellies with an enchanted weapon and it split into an additional Jelly. It was clear that our magic was usueless, and, largely, so was I.

As the others drew their non-magical weapons, I felt like all I coud do was stand back and watch. Just when I thought there was nothing I could do, Drussis offered me his sling. I rushed over to him, grabbed it off his back, and started towards the enemy. I kept at maximum distance for the sling to avoid counterattack, though it was still too close to my liking. It took more time than we were used to, but we finally defeated each of the Jellies.